Can you powder-coat aluminium?
Aluminum powder coating, also known as powder coating, is one of the three methods to coat aluminum, providing a protective layer. This process enhances the metal’s wear resistance, provides electrical insulation, and offers better protection against corrosion, although corrosion resistance is already a natural feature of aluminum.
Powder coating can be used both indoors and outdoors. For outdoor use, multiple layers of powder coating are applied. First, an epoxy layer is sprayed onto the aluminum, followed by the second layer.
Aluminum powder coating is performed using an electrolytic process. Powder is sprayed onto the aluminum with an electrostatic spray gun. The powder is attracted to the grounded surface, adhering and forming a strong layer. Aluminum powder coating thus provides robust protection for items like aluminum profiles.
Advantages of aluminum powder coating:
- It is wear, impact, and abrasion-resistant.
- No prolonged drying or curing time required, making coated materials ready for transport and assembly immediately.
- It is durable, extending the object’s lifespan.
- Available in virtually any color imaginable.
- It is liquid and dirt repellent and easy to maintain.
- It is environmentally friendly with few to no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) present.
- Less wear-resistant than anodizing.
- Minor color variations may occur during application.
- Less efficient for smooth, thin coating layers.